Last Updated May 24, 2021
Personal and Other Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We and our service providers collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including through the Services generally; through the job application process; and from other sources.
Through the Services and Registering Interest in a Clinical Trial
We collect Personal Information through the Services – for example, when you register interest in or sign up for a clinical trial, register an account to access the Services, attend one of our events, or sign up for a newsletter.
If you enroll in a Science 37 clinical trial, you will receive detailed information about data processing – including the collection of Personal Information – during the initiation of the clinical trial process.
If you apply for jobs through our website, your application and any additional information that you provide may be used to assess your skills and interests against career opportunities at Science 37, and for reporting purposes that may be required by country-specific laws. We may also use your information to communicate with you and to inform you of career opportunities.
We receive your Personal Information from other sources – for example, publicly available databases, clinical trial recruiting partners and joint marketing partners, when they share the information with us.
“Other Information” refers to any information that does not reveal your specific identify or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual, and includes information such as the type of Internet browser and operating system used; domain name of the website from which you came; number of visits; average time spent on the site; and pages viewed. We may use Other Information, for example, to monitor the relevancy of our website and improve its performance or content.
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including from your browser or device; cookies; clear gifs/web beacons; analytics; software development kits (“SDKs”) and mobile advertising IDs; third-party plugins; third-party online tracking; Adobe Flash technology; physical location.
From Your Browser or Device
Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
Cookies (Information Stored Automatically on Your Computer)
SDKs and Mobile Advertising IDs
Our Services may include third-party SDKs that allow us and our service providers to collect information about your activity. In addition, some mobile devices come with a resettable advertising ID (such as Apple’s IDFA and Google’s Advertising ID) that, like cookies and pixel tags, allow us and our service providers to identify your mobile device over time for advertising purposes.
Our website may include plugins from other companies, including social media companies (e.g., the Facebook “Like” button). These plugins may collect information, such as information about the pages you visit, and share it with the company that created the plugin even if you do not click on the plugin. These third-party plugins are governed by the privacy policies and terms of the companies that created them.
Third-Party Online Tracking
We also may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the information described in this section. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use web beacons on the website or in email communications from us. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including online website analytics and interest-based advertising. Please see the section below titled “Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising” to learn more about this use.
Aggregated and Deidentified Information
From time to time, we may also collect and share aggregated or deidentified information about users of the Services. Such aggregated or deidentified information will not identify you personally.
How We Use and Process Your Information
We and our service providers use the Personal Information that we collect for the following purposes:
- Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To provide the Services’ functionality to you, such as arranging access to your registered account; conducting clinical trials; responding to your questions or requests concerning the Services; or to provide customer service.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via one of our online contact forms or otherwise – for example, when you send us questions, suggestions, compliments or complaints about our Services.
- To complete your transactions, verify your information, and provide you with related benefits, or customer service.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and to fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us.
- To deliver confirmations, account information, notifications, and similar operational communications.
- To allow you to send messages to another person through the Services if you choose to do so.
We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
- Providing you with our newsletter and/or other marketing materials and facilitating social sharing.
- To send you marketing-related emails, with information about our Services and other topics that are likely to be of interest to you, including newsletters, updates, or other communications, including emails.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality that you choose to use.
We will engage in this activity with your consent or where we have a legitimate interest.
- Analyzing Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our Services.
- To improve the user experience and quality of our products and Services generally, including by improving the website and enhancing users’ experiences with the website.
- To better understand your interests and preferences, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and provide you with information and/or offers tailored to your interests.
- To better understand your preferences so that we can deliver content via our Services that we believe will be relevant and interesting to you.
We will provide personalized services based on our legitimate interests, and with your consent to the extent required by applicable law.
- Aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information.
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose, as it no longer identifies you or any other individual.
- Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For data analysis – for example, to improve the efficiency of our Services (e.g., enabling additional website analytics and research concerning the Services).
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and to address legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements.
- For fraud prevention and fraud security monitoring purposes – for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft.
- For developing new products and services or improving our existing Services.
- For enhancing, improving, repairing, maintaining, or modifying our current products and services, as well as undertaking quality and safety assurance measures.
- For identifying usage trends – for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users (e.g., to count and recognize visitors to the website and to analyze how visitors use the website and various website features).
- For determining the effectiveness of our recruiting campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users.
- For operating and expanding our business activities – for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests.
- To comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements.
- To manage our business.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, and/or based on our legitimate interest.
Disclosure of Your Information
We disclose Personal Information to third parties who support our clinical trials; other third-party service providers; and via other means. You also may disclose your Personal Information yourself.
Third-Party Service Providers
Science 37 uses third-party service providers that perform services on our behalf, including web‑hosting companies, mailing vendors, and analytics providers. These service providers may collect and/or use your information, including information that identifies you personally, to assist us in achieving the purposes discussed above.
We may share your information with other third parties when necessary to fulfill your requests for services; to complete a transaction that you initiate; to meet the terms of any agreement that you have with us or our partners; or to manage our business.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, in particular when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so, including:
- To comply with a court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to a government or regulatory request, which could include laws outside of your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities, including to respond to a request or to provide information we believe is necessary or appropriate (these can include authorities outside of your country of residence).
- To cooperate with law enforcement, including, for example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information we believe is important.
- For other legal reasons, including to enforce our terms and conditions or to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction. We have a legitimate interest in disclosing or transferring your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Your Own Disclosures
By using the Services, you may elect to disclose Personal Information. This includes disclosure via message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. This also includes disclosure through your social sharing activity.
Interest-Based and Third-Party Advertising
The website also enables third-party tracking mechanisms to collect information about you and your computing devices for use in online interest-based advertising. For example, third parties, such as Facebook, may use the fact that you visited our website to target online ads to you. In addition, our third-party advertising networks might use information about your use of our website to help target advertisements based on your online activity in general. For information about interest-based advertising practices, including privacy and confidentiality, visit the Network Advertising Initiative
website or the Digital Advertising Alliance
, or of companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance by opting out here
. Although our website currently does not respond to “do not track” browser headers, you can limit tracking through these third-party programs and by taking the other steps discussed above.
Transfer and Storage of Your Information
Science 37 is headquartered in Los Angeles, California, in the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Additional Information Regarding the EEA, Switzerland and UK
Some non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission, Switzerland and the UK as providing an adequate level of data protection according to their standards (the full list of countries with adequate protection is available here
). For transfers from the EEA, Switzerland and the UK to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section below.
If you have any privacy-related questions about the transfer or storage of your Personal Information, please contact us at Privacy@Science37.com
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide Services to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
Science 37 is committed to protecting the Personal Information you share with us.
We seek to utilize a combination of reasonable security technologies, procedures, and organizational measures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “How to Contact Us”
Except where we request it, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
Science 37’s Services are not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 16 without seeking and acquiring consent from the minor’s parental or legal guardian, if required by applicable law.
Your Choices Regarding Direct Marketing
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information, including for marking purposes.
If you do not want to receive emails from us in the future, you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link or contacting Privacy@Science37.com
Science 37 also offers a partial opt-out option. This option allows you to choose the data elements you want to provide and those you do not. For more information about opting out of providing certain data elements, contact us at Privacy@Science37.com
Science 37 does not share Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
Science 37 will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed or whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes.
If you withdraw or are withdrawn from a clinical trial, we will not collect or receive any new information from the Services. However, information already collected, processed, and stored up to the time that your withdrawal request is received may not be deleted, and may continue to be used for the clinical trial’s purpose, including compliance with regulatory requirements, unless applicable law requires otherwise.
External or Third-Party Links
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider, or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages. If you decide to access any of the third-party sites listed on our website, you do so at your own risk.
How to Contact Us
. You may also contact our Privacy Officer at:
Science 37, Inc.
Jen Davis, Deputy General Counsel and Privacy Officer
600 Corporate Pointe #320
Culver City, CA 90230
Additional Information Regarding the EEA and UK
You may also
- Contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO): Privacy@Science37.com
- File a complaint directly with any relevant supervisory authority for your country or region where you have your habitual residence or place of work or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. A list of data protection authorities is available at http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.
Additional Information Regarding California
Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA
”), we are providing the following additional details regarding the categories of Personal Information that we collect, use, and disclose about California residents.
Collection, Disclosure of Personal Information
The following chart includes: (1) the categories of Personal Information, as listed in the CCPA, that we plan to collect and have collected and disclosed within the preceding 12 months; and (2) the categories of third parties to which we disclosed Personal Information for our operational business purposes within the preceding 12 months.
Sales of Personal Information
|Categories of Personal Information
||Disclosed to Which Categories of Third Parties for Operational Business Purposes
|Identifiers, such as name, alias, contact information, unique personal identifiers, online identifiers
||service providers; business partners; legal authorities
|Internet or network activity information, such as browsing history, search history and interactions with our online properties or ads
Under the CCPA, if a business sells Personal Information, it must allow California residents to opt out of the sale of their Personal Information. We do not “sell” Personal Information. We do not sell the Personal Information of minors under 16 years of age.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect this Personal Information as described above, including from you when you contact us through the Services.
Use of Personal Information
We may use this Personal Information to operate, manage, and maintain our business, to provide our products and services, and to accomplish our business purposes and objectives, including as described above.
CCPA Rights and Requests
Requests to Know and Delete
If you are a California resident, you may make the following requests:
- Request to Know: You may request that we disclose to you the following information covering the 12 months preceding your request:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you and the categories of sources from which we collected such Personal Information;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting (if applicable) Personal Information about you; and
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we otherwise shared or disclosed, and the categories of third parties with whom we shared or to whom we disclosed such Personal Information (if applicable).
- Request to Delete: You may request that we delete Personal Information we collected from you.
To make a Request to Know, or a Request to Delete, please contact us at 1-866-888-7580 or in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section above. We will verify and respond to your request consistent with applicable law, taking into account the type and sensitivity of the Personal Information subject to the request. We may need to request additional Personal Information from you, such as your name, email address or phone number, in order to verify your identity and protect against fraudulent requests. You may make a request on behalf of a child who is under 13 years old if you are the child’s parent or legal guardian. If you make a Request to Delete, we may ask you to confirm your request before we delete your Personal Information.
If you want to make a Request to Know or a Request to Delete as an authorized agent on behalf of a California resident, you may use the submission methods noted above. As part of our verification process, we may request that you provide, as applicable, proof concerning your status as an authorized agent, which also may include:
1. Proof of your registration with the California Secretary of State to conduct business in California;
2. Proof of a power of attorney from the resident pursuant to Probate Code sections 4121-4130.
If you are an authorized agent and have not provided us with a power of attorney from the resident pursuant to Probate Code sections 4121-4130, we may also require the resident to:
1. Verify the resident’s own identity directly with us; or
2. Directly confirm with us that the resident provided you permission to make the request.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right to be free from unlawful discriminatory treatment for exercising your rights under the CCPA.